This is an exciting opportunity for a recent school leaver to join an extremely busy GP practice in Edinburgh on a One Year Fixed Term Contract. They would like to give a school leaver the opportunity to work with them in learning a range of duties which will give the successful applicant an introduction to working with the public and on a number of IT systems.
The Trainee Administrator will be trained in duties within the three main work groups in the Practice: Reception, Clinical Administration and the Secretarial team. The main duties will include:
• Registering new patients and removing patients who leave the practice
• Assist with the administration of prescriptions
• Scanning and recording information on patient records
• Assisting with identifying patients to call for specific appointments and clinics, and producing invite letters
• Copying patient notes and files
• Dealing with patient queries
• Make phone calls to clinics and hospitals
• Helping with booking patients in for appointments
• Coding of patient conditions onto patient records
• A variety of administrative and clerical tasks
• Helping with one off projects, e.g. the annual flu clinic
• Photocopying, filing and amalgamation of documents and records
You will undertake an SVQ Level 3 Business Administration and have the opportunity to complete IT courses through Microsoft IT Academy. Your time management, communication skills and ability to prioritise your work will all be developed as part of this opportunity.
Ideally we are looking for National 5s including English and Maths, and/or Highers.
Other personal attributes desired include:
• Confident in speaking to members of the public face to face and on the telephone – good social skills
• Good IT and keyboard skills
• Willing to learn
• Able to use initiative and move from one task to another
• Good team player
• A mature attitude
• Ideally someone who has undertaken some form of holiday or weekend job while at school
• He or she must observe complete confidentiality. The successful candidate cannot be registered as a patient with the practice.