Historic Environment Scotland
Historic Environment Scotland is offering two school leavers the opportunity to join the team at Urquhart Castle on a two-year Modern Apprenticeship Fixed Term Contract. This is a fixed term and pensionable appointment from January 2018 to December 2019.
Historic Environment Scotland (HES) has been established as the new lead public body to investigate, care for and promote Scotland's historic environment. Established in legislation, HES will build on the strong and long-established performance of Historic Scotland and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) who have been managing and recording the historic environment for over a century.
It will continue to manage some of the most historic attractions in Scotland, making a significant economic impact, with improvements bringing benefits to visitors and future generations alike. It will engage with others at a local, national and international level. Collaborating with local authorities, community planning partnerships and businesses, it will create environments which contribute to everyone's well-being, whether as a place to visit, to invest, to work or simply to live and enjoy. Improved ability of world class resources will ensure that our historic environment is more widely appreciated, understood and celebrated.
It will deliver a complex set of ambitious aims and expectations, supported by passionate, knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff and volunteers. It will be one of the most important cultural organisations in Scotland, an exemplar of good governance, modern management and high achievement.
This is an exciting time to be working at Urquhart Castle which welcomes around 0.4 million visitors annually. Playing a key role in ensuring that every visitor has an enjoyable and informative visit, you will need to demonstrate excellent customer service skills, be confident in passing on your knowledge about the history of the site to diverse audiences, and also be comfortable using the till system to process retail and admission sales.
No two days are the same, and we are looking for people who will enjoy both the challenges and the rewards of working at this historically important and inspiring monument.
Modern Apprentices are required in the three areas in the castle:
• Pro-active interaction with visitors to the site, assessing their individual needs to promote and sell the appropriate ticket, and answering enquiries both in person and by telephone
• Promote and encourage sales of the souvenir guide
• Ensure all group visitors to the castle are welcomed and their access into the castle is managed as efficiently and effectively as possible, providing additional information as appropriate
• Process sales, while ensuring that all financial procedures are adhered to and carried out accurately and efficiently
• Oversee the smooth running of the car park
• Provide guided tours and historical conversational talks
• Oversee the children's activity area
• Support and deliver the educational programme
• Help out and set up weddings on site
• Oversee the arrival and departure of our commercially operated boats
• Identify visitor needs and promote and sell the appropriate ticket
• Help drive sales of the souvenir guide and retail merchandise by promoting and selling these during tours
• Oversee the security, cleanliness and presentation of the site during opening hours
• Carry out the daily operational duties of the shop as requested by the supervisor or retail management
• Maximise trading income through selling and upselling appropriate merchandise
• Process sales, whilst ensuring that all financial procedures are adhered to and carried out accurately and efficiently
• Ensure the correct pricing of stock
• Ensure the shop is well stocked and merchandise is appropriately displayed at all times
• Assist in the daily banking and cash conveyance as and when required
• Ensure that high standards of shop hygiene and housekeeping are maintained at all times
• Operate our audio visual presentation
The Modern Apprentices will spend the first three months gaining an insight into how Urquhart Castle operates during the peak summer months and throughout this time a thorough and detailed induction will be provided. At this point, the Modern Apprenticeship qualification will commence.
In the first year you will undertake a Diploma in Cultural Venue Operations (SCQF Level 6) delivered by Rewards Training. You will also be given access to Microsoft IT Academy that will help improve and develop your IT skills and knowledge. You will be given a full induction and on the job training will include First Aid training.
Ideally we are looking for National 5s, Intermediates including Maths and English, and/or Higher Grades.
Key responsibilities, duties and objectives
To deliver the high standard of customer care to all visitors at all times; enthusiastically provide information and assistance to visitors throughout the visit, whilst also ensuring visitor safety at Urquhart Castle; and ensure high standards of presentation and professionalism are maintained at all times.
Delivering excellent service – demonstrating a commitment to quality services
Teamwork – Contributing to and supporting working together
Planning and Organising – putting plans and resources in place to achieve results
Communication – communicating appropriately and clearly
Knowledge & Experience – applying and developing knowledge and expertise to achieve results