Historic Environment Scotland
Historic Environment Scotland is offering nine school leavers the opportunity to join the team at Edinburgh Castle on a two-year Modern Apprenticeship Fixed Term Contract. This is a fixed term and pensionable appointment from September 2018 to August 2020.
Historic Environment Scotland (HES) has been established as the new lead public body to investigate, care for and promote Scotland’s historic environment. Established in legislation, HES will build on the strong and long-established performance of Historic Scotland and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) who have been managing and recording the historic environment for over a century.
It will continue to manage some of the most historic attractions in Scotland, making a significant economic impact, with improvements bringing benefits to visitors and future generations alike. It will engage with others at a local, national and international level. Collaborating with local authorities, community planning partnerships and businesses, it will create environments which contribute to everyone’s well-being, whether as a place to visit, to invest, to work or simply to live and enjoy. Improved ability of world class resources will ensure that our historic environment is more widely appreciated, understood and celebrated.
It will deliver a complex set of ambitious aims and expectations, supported by passionate, knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff and volunteers. It will be one of the most important cultural organisations in Scotland, an exemplar of good governance, modern management and high achievement.
Edinburgh Castle is Scotland’s most popular paid visitor attraction, welcoming around 1.5 million visitors annually.
Modern Apprentices are required in the three areas in the castle:
• Provide a world class welcome and direct visitors as appropriate upon their arrival at Edinburgh Castle
• Sell appropriate tickets and products to all walk up visitors
• Ensure all vehicles entering the castle and parking on the esplanade have the appropriate approval
• Ensure the security and safety of the visitor, whether arriving on foot, by bus or by car, and any other activity taking place on the esplanade throughout the day
• Ensure all group visitors to the castle are welcomed and their access into the castle is managed as efficiently and effectively as possible, providing additional information as appropriate
• Provide information on other Historic Environment Scotland sites and services available to visitors
• Process sales, while ensuring that all financial procedures are adhered to and carried out accurately and efficiently
• Welcome and assist visitors on their way around the castle
• Work on both indoor and outdoor posts throughout the castle
• Oversee the security, cleanliness and tidiness of the various apartments throughout opening hours
• Knowledge of Scottish history and the castle would be advantageous, although training will be given
• Additional duties may include driving our mobility vehicle
• Carry out the daily operational duties of the shop as requested by the supervisor or retail management
• Maximise trading income through selling and upselling appropriate merchandise
• Process sales, whilst ensuring that all financial procedures are adhered to and carried out accurately and efficiently
• Ensure the correct pricing of stock
• Ensure the shop is well stocked and merchandise is appropriately displayed at all times
• Assist in the daily banking and cash conveyance as and when required
• Ensure that high standards of shop hygiene and housekeeping are maintained at all times
The Modern Apprentices will spend the first three months in all three areas taking part in a thorough and detailed induction of the castle, after which they will each be placed in one area where they will stay for the remainder of the contract unless stated otherwise. At this point, the Modern Apprenticeship qualification will commence.
You will undertake a Diploma in Cultural Venue Operations (SCQF Level 6) delivered by Rewards Training. Other internal training programmes will include First Aid training, and Health & Safety.
Ideally we are looking for National 5s including Maths and English, and/or Higher Grades.
To deliver the high standard of customer care to all visitors at all times; enthusiastically provide information and assistance to visitors throughout the visit, whilst also ensuring visitor safety at Edinburgh Castle; and ensure high standards of presentation and professionalism are maintained at all times.
• Delivering excellent service – demonstrating a commitment to quality services
• Teamwork – Contributing to and supporting working together
• Planning and Organising – putting plans and resources in place to achieve results
• Communication – communicating appropriately and clearly
• Knowledge & Experience – applying and developing knowledge and expertise to achieve results