Updates on coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the latest information on the response to the outbreak, including guidance for individuals, training providers and employers.
Perth and Kinross Council
You need to apply for this vacancy directly on their site.Apply on company site
The overall purpose of the job is to gain the skills and knowledge to ensure that Perth & Kinross Councils fleet of vehicles, plant & mechanical equipment are maintained to a standard that complies with the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), whilst complying with Perth & Kinross Council’s maintenance schedule.
During this time you will undertake an Apprenticeship and continuous personnel development through on the job training and become a fully skilled and qualified Vehicle Mechanic/Technician maintaining a wide range of municipal vehicles and plant.
• With supervision assist to carrying out inspections of vehicles, plant and equipment to predetermined levels and report on their condition using the documentation provided.
• With supervision carry out services on vehicles at prescribed frequencies.
• With supervision carrying out repairs or fit replacement parts as required.
• With supervision diagnose, analyse and rectify faults occurring in above items by means of knowledge and through the use of computerised diagnostic equipment.
• Commissioning of new vehicles and removal of vehicles for disposal.
• With supervision attend breakdowns of vehicles and plant and assist in recovery if required.
• Work to set job times and ensure work is completed satisfactorily and timeously.
• Fully Comply with all Health & safety legislation and Council policies.
• Comply with all written and verbal workshop and Council procedures.
• Understand and complete all maintenance documentation to a legible and legal standard.
• Use a range of associated tools and equipment.
• You will attend college to work towards achievement of a Level 3 Scottish Vocational Qualification in vehicle Repair & Maintenance.
• Undertake any other duties which may be allocated as and when required.
• Have a good understanding of duties related to working in a Fleet Workshop/ maintenance environment.
• Have an understanding of the purpose of Perth and Kinross Council.
• Standard Grade general/national 4 or above in Maths, English and a Science or Technical subject.
• UK Driving Licence is preferred (age permitting)
• Willing to deal with a variety of customers, both face-to-face and over the telephone in a manner which meets the Council’s Customer Care Standards
• Able to cope with the demands of the job and attend on a regular basis.
• Willing to undertake Health & Safety training relevant to the post.
• Able to use equipment safely and have an awareness of Health and Safety issues.
• Have a basic knowledge of safe manual handling techniques
• Treat colleagues and customers with dignity and respect.
• Able to work co-operatively with others.
• Able to communicate effectively with work colleagues, within the team and service customers.
• Numerate and literacy skills; able to communicate effectively in the spoken and written word
• Willing to adapt to ongoing changes within the work environment.
• Willing to meet work schedule targets and deadlines
• Willing to commit to meeting agreed timescales and targets in relation to the level 3 Qualification in vehicle Repair & Maintenance Modern Apprenticeship.
• Willing to accept feedback and use this to improve performance
• Ability to produce high standard of work.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to read instructions and keep records as required.
• Willing to work effectively as part of a team.
• Willing to follow instructions given by members of staff.
• Know when to ask for assistance/guidance.