The Carey Group is a leading family-owned construction business, operating across the UK and Ireland. Established in 1969, we have continued to evolve and grow developing new capabilities through innovation and learning. We are proud to deliver an extensive range of engineering, build and construction services on some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
We are recruiting a Groundwork Apprentice to work with our Operations Team on a new project based in Glasgow, G6. Groundworkers are our first trade onto a project and they work closely with supervisors and engineers in interpreting design specifications to prepare the site ready for any structural building works to take place.
They continue their work throughout the construction phase, working with all on-site trades, such as bricklayers and plant operatives, up to and including the final completion activities of the project. Their work includes setting out and preparing the sub-surfaces ready for the structural work to begin, installing drainage systems, concreting, constructing roads and pathways and carrying out the finished hard landscaping.
You will need to be happy to work outdoors in this role, with a good level of physical fitness. Being a team player is absolutely essential, with good communication skills. Health & Safety is critical on all projects, so you must have excellent attention to detail.
Whilst you gain this practical experience you will also be learning the following as part of the Groundworker apprenticeship pathway.
• Principles of health, safety, welfare and environmentally responsible work practices
• Awareness of environmental and health hazards
• Basic principles of Building Information Modelling(BIM), drawings, method statements, manufacturers’ information, work schedules and specifications
• Technology including key factors and systems of work appropriate to different work environments and industry sectors
• Differences between modern and traditional construction methods and the physical and environmental factors when undertaking construction work and their potential impacts
• Techniques to handle and move loads manually and with mechanical aids
• Why, when and how health and safety control equipment should be used when undertaking groundworks (e.g. personal protective equipment (PPE))
• Principles and methods of working within confined space work
• Erecting and dismantling access/working platforms
• Establishing work area protection
• Locating and excavating to expose buried utility services
• Providing temporary works including excavation support
• Basic principles of internal/external drainage and ducting systems
• Measuring, marking, cutting and installing geo membranes to stabilise soil
• Gauging, mixing, placing, compacting and finishing mortars and concrete by hand and by mixer
• Reinstating excavations and ground surface finishes including installing street ironworks
To be considered for this role, you should be prepared to work outdoors. The hours are 7.30 to 5 pm Monday to Friday.
You must have a good level of Maths and English.