East Ayrshire Council
You need to apply for this vacancy directly on the employer's site.Apply on company site
Undertake a range of civil engineering duties, aligned to an apprenticeship programme of structured workplace learning, that supports the work of professional employees and contributes to achievement of the Joint Committee’s key objectives; specifically in relation to both Council’s Community Plans, Shared Commitments, Single Outcome Agreements and Best Value.
1. Undertake structured workplace learning aligned to an approved apprenticeship programme in civil engineering ensuring all tasks and activities are carried out in accordance with recognised and documented safe systems of work and relevant health and safety legislation.
2. Assist professional employees responsible for the management and delivery of services provided by the Design and Environment, Traffic and Transportation and Development Control Teams within the remit and status of the post.
3. Assist in the preparation, design and implementation of work programmes linked to the learning outcomes of the apprenticeship programme under the direct supervision of the Team Leader or Appointed Officer.
4. Ensure a professional approach at all times when dealing with customers and clients of the Alliance, including partners across joint working areas, in accordance with the principles of good customer care.
5. Assist in the preparation of designs and drawings related to the work ensuring all work is completed using appropriate technical standards and techniques.
6. Assist as required in range of relevant civil engineering studies and projects including route action plans, accident studies, flood prevention, bridge maintenance, bridge inspection and new road design.
7. Assist professional employees undertaking feasibility studies and/or cost estimating activities relating to new road improvement programmes, associated maintenance schemes and all works in relation to the Council’s bridge stock.
8. Assist as directed in the preparation, monitoring and reporting of contract works.
9. Ensure all work is completed in accordance with the Alliance’s Quality Management and Quality Assurance systems to ensure consistency of approach in service delivery across the Service.
10. Assist management in the successful delivery of Ayrshire Roads Alliance’s key performance indicators.
11. Ensure information systems are maintained in accordance with the requirements of the Service and the principles of the Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations.
12. Assist with initial enquiries from a range of stakeholders including the public, partner agencies and colleagues ensuring the provision of accurate and timeous advice and guidance at all times.
13. Report as required on the progress of assigned work and relevant personal development activities that contribute towards the award of HNC in Civil Engineering.
14. Undertake and complete personal development requirements to achieve the Apprenticeship.
15. Ensure the safe operation of tools equipment at all times.
16. Ensure relevant personal protection equipment (PPE) is worn at all times.
NC in a relevant discipline OR 2 Higher Grades – one of which must be Maths.
Able to undertake and achieve an HNC in Civil Engineering and SVQ Level 3 in either Construction Contracting Operations, Site Technical Support or Built Environment Design within an agreed timescale.
Attendance at college is mandatory.