Our client is a global freight and logistics company with offices and agencies spread across the world. They count major high street brands amongst their customers and have highly experienced staff spread throughout their UK and international offices.
Based in Paisley, you will also travel to various UK sites where you will receive training as part of a UK-wide apprenticeship program. You will learn how to support the global operation by providing support in all aspects on behalf of the International Freight Forwarding Division. You will become skilled in receiving shipping orders and arranging/monitoring the progress from point of origin to final delivery, developing experience, ensuring all contractual obligations and service levels are met.
As an apprentice, in addition to formal training, you will gain real hands-on experience in the following areas:
• Principles of International shipping (e.g., Incoterms).
• Key import and export procedures
• Networking by interacting with Global offices.
• customer service skills.
• HM Custom’s procedures in relation to the importation of goods from outside of the EU.
• Liaison with shipping lines/airlines and transport providers for cost and routing information.
• Basic consignment profit and loss.
• IT systems and how they support the operation.
• Making and submitting electronic import, export, and transit Customs declarations for consignments moving by air, road, and ocean freight.
• Provide project coordinators with advice on Customs requirements and procedures to help ensure compliance with Customs regulations.
• Preparation of customs documentation for import and export consignments moving by air, road and ocean freight.
• Review new job requests, identifying and allocating the required Shipping team resources.
• Advising project coordinators of available flights/vessels, routes, freight rates, and ancillary charges and recommend the best option.
• Negotiation with freight carriers, establishing freight rates and service levels, making freight bookings and ensuring that the needs of our clients are met.
• Liaising with project coordinators and other departments – transport, warehouse, packing, finance - to ensure the smooth running of jobs.
• Develop a relationship with allocated customers
• Ensures all customer inquiries are responded to promptly and professionally.
• Adhere to Customs Compliance procedures and documentation
• Ensure each ‘Job File’ is fully and accurately completed reflecting all commercially relevant information and services provided
• Work with Carriers and Handling Agents to resolve exceptions and discrepancies as they arise
• Liaise with Transport & Warehouse teams on shipment or airfreight planning and coordination
• Liaise directly with overseas offices on shipment or airfreight planning and coordination.
You’ll have a head start in this vacancy if you’ve completed a Foundation Apprenticeship in a related field. We’ll need you to provide evidence of your qualification and show you gained the relevant skills from your placement
We are looking for candidates who:
• Have good communication skills
• Possess basic IT skills in both Word and Excel
• Have a good eye for accuracy
• Are able to work on own initiative
• Are well organised
• Have good problem-solving skills.
Ideally, the candidate will have 5 National 5 qualifications (Nat 5s) at grades A - C
The successful candidate must be:
• Eager to learn
• A team player
• Customer focused.