We are an Accountants and are looking for a trainee Accountant to join our team based in Dalkeith, Easter Road, Fairmilehead and Musselburgh. Initially this will start as a Business & Admin apprenticeship, leading onto the AAT qualification once completed.
We are looking for candidates who are interested in a career in Accountancy. What really matters is your attitude and commitment. Our team work hard and are dedicated to continuous improvement, but we are not your typical accountancy firm and are not trying to be.
The role will be fast paced, varied and challenging, you will start by assisting with administration work and basic bookkeeping, moving on to preparation of accounts, VAT and tax returns whilst working as part of a team to ensure targets are achieved and delivering excellent customer service to 1000+ clients.
Our Accountants franchise is the largest network of accountants who focus specifically on small businesses and individual taxpayers. Our network have over 70,000 clients in the UK being provided with accountancy services including accounts preparation, tax returns, payroll, bookkeeping and business support/advice.
Our award-winning practice is now in its 16th year of business, supporting small businesses and individuals from four shop locations in and around Edinburgh.
The role will be based across all four of our shops giving you plenty of variety and the chance to get to know our whole team and a broad range of clients. Some days you will work with other members of the team and some days you will be working independently while covering the other offices. The working hours will be 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (unfortunately due to the nature of this role we cannot consider part time or flexible working for this position).
You will be allocated a number of jobs and tasks to be completed each week and will work alongside your line manager and colleagues to ensure team targets are achieved..
Training will be provided on all software and systems used in the practice. We use a range of software including TaxCalc, QuickBooks and Dext and are in the process of training to use Xero. Our firm is a platinum partner of QuickBooks as well as being Dext Pioneers. You will receive training to QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor Advanced Online level as well as Xero Certification training.
• Be part of a recognised national accountancy network while also working in a friendly, small business environment.
• Experience the rewarding and varied nature of working with local businesses. You will be helping a wide range of small business owners with their accountancy needs and no two days will be the same.
• Receive support from the TaxAssist network and Support Centre for technical queries as well as professional development and training.
• Benefit from access to training, CPD, guidance, tools and videos to expand your soft skills and technical knowledge.
• Work for an employer that is focused on long-term staff retention. Career development opportunities are available to the right candidates
• Join a team that is quick to adapt, are advocates of cloud bookkeeping and other time-saving products - we take innovation seriously and are often involved in piloting and testing new products for the wider TaxAssist network
• Be part of a company that focuses on more than just filing tax returns and meeting deadlines. We want to provide excellent customer service to our clients and we also work closely with a local charity and get involved in supporting them wherever we can.
We also offer:
• Starting salary of £13,000 per annum.
• Total of 30 days holiday per year
• Team away days and meals
• Employee wellbeing assistance
• Career Progression Opportunities
• Further study support upon completion of apprenticeship
You’ll have a head start in this vacancy if you’ve completed a Foundation Apprenticeship in a related field. We’ll need you to provide evidence of your qualification and show you gained the relevant skills from your placement
Minimum of Nat 5 in English & Maths (preferred higher but not essential)
Training will be provided on all duties that we expect to be performed and there are also processes that you can follow when carrying out tasks.
Most importantly, the successful candidate will have:
• Good people skills and a confident and friendly personality to help build strong relationships with the team and with clients,
• The ability to take ownership of their work and see things through to completion, including working unsupervised and to deadlines.