The Freight Apprentice (ARC) role will work within the operations department of our Animal Receiving Centre at Edinburgh airport, liaising with clients and sub-contractors, providing quotes, and transacting air import and export jobs of live animals (domestic cats and dogs predominately). The role will be a ‘start to finish’ operational job. The role will include supporting the welfare and handling of animals and will also include aspects such as customs clearance and invoicing. You will help contribute to excellent operational performance, to the growth of the site, and in championing company values at all times.
The skills that the successful applicant can expect to develop include -
• Export skills - coordination, documentation, and complete processing of air shipments.
• Import skills - coordination with overseas agents, maintaining and monitoring rates from overseas partners, tracking inbound shipments, coordinating with customs brokers for all relevant import filings, document turnover, reporting to the consignee on all matters, and over-seeing shipments through to final delivery.
• Supporting good welfare of live animals – largely domestic cats and dogs.
• Developing and maintaining confidence and encouraging customer loyalty.
This role is also supported by wider developmental opportunities in the form of the Logistics Operations Modern Apprenticeship at SCQF 7.
As well as being interested in a rewarding career in logistics, you will ideally be an animal lover and hold relevant National 5's at A - C. You should also be enthusiastic and have the ability to effectively communicate at all levels along with -
• Excellent customer service skills
• Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to multi-task and work effectively under pressure
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume office environment, must be self-motivated
• Strong IT literacy, proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook; Internet
• Full, clean driving license ideally
• Support the development of a ‘can do’ working culture with a customer-driven mentality
• Champion the company values at all times.
• Ensuring responsibilities encompassing the appropriate practices to support the Border Control Post and Animal Receiving Centre, and all other regulatory bodies are maintained as set out within the company’s Standard Operating Procedures.