We as Accountants are looking for a new Admin Assistant to join our team based in Dalkeith, Easter Road, Fairmilehead and Musselburgh. The role will be fast paced, varied and challenging, combining administrative duties with working as part of a team to ensure targets are achieved and delivering excellent customer service to 1000+ clients.
We are the largest network of accountants who focus specifically on small businesses and individual taxpayers. The network have over 70,000 clients in the UK being provided with accountancy services including accounts preparation, tax returns, payroll, bookkeeping and business support/advice.
Our practice is now in its 17th year of business, supporting small businesses and individuals from four locations in and around Edinburgh. Our team work hard and are dedicated to continuous improvement, we are not your typical accountancy firm and are not trying to be.
The role will be based across all four of our shops giving you plenty of variety and the chance to get to know our whole team and a broad range of clients. Some days you will work with other members of the team and some days you will be working independently while covering the other offices.
The working hours will be 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (unfortunately due to the nature of this role we cannot consider part time or flexible working for this position).
• Be part of a recognised national accountancy network while also working in a friendly, small business environment.
• Experience the rewarding and varied nature of working with local businesses. You will be helping a wide range of small business owners and no two days will be the same.
• Receive support from the TaxAssist network and Support Centre for queries as well as professional development and training.
• Benefit from access to training, guidance, tools and videos to expand your soft skills and knowledge.
• Work for an employer that is focused on long-term staff retention. Career development opportunities are available to the right candidates
• Join a team that is quick to adapt, are advocates of cloud bookkeeping and other time-saving products - we take innovation seriously and are often involved in piloting and testing new products for the wider network
• Be part of a company that focuses on more than just filing tax returns and meeting deadlines. We want to provide excellent customer service to our clients and we also work closely with a local charity and get involved in supporting them wherever we can.
The main duties of the role will include:
• Welcome visiting clients and potential clients in a friendly and courteous manner.
• Answer incoming phone calls in a professional and polite manner, ensuring client queries and issues are dealt with quickly and to the client’s satisfaction and that correspondence is logged in our system.
• Make appointments in diaries for potential and existing clients and assist in the management/co-ordination of diaries for appointments and travel between offices.
• Use text system to send appointment reminder text messages.
• Deal with Client Onboarding in systems and issue necessary paperwork.
• Raise fee requests and record payments from clients in QuickBooks.
• Contact clients to request paperwork, arrange review and signing of tax returns/accounts, or to request payment for outstanding fee requests.
• Interact with relevant authorities (i.e. HMRC, Companies House) to deal with client queries.
• General office administration duties such as ordering stationery, keeping front office and meeting rooms tidy, opening and distributing incoming mail, franking and posting outgoing mail, writing letters, photocopying & scanning, maintaining petty cash.
Training will be provided on all software and systems used in the practice. We use a range of software including TaxCalc, QuickBooks and Dext and are in the process of training to use Xero. Our firm is a platinum partner of QuickBooks as well as being Dext Pioneers.
Although this is an administrative role we are happy to provide training on the Accounting software to allow you to help deal with client queries and also to help colleagues internally.
You’ll have a head start in this vacancy if you’ve completed a Foundation Apprenticeship in a related field. We’ll need you to provide evidence of your qualification and show you gained the relevant skills from your placement
You will have at least a Nat 5 in English and Maths with a preferred higher (not essential).
Ideally, the successful candidate will have previous experience working in an office environment, as well as strong organisation skills and attention to detail, and the ability to prioritise tasks and manage a changing workload in a fast-paced environment. You must be used to working on your own initiative whilst following established processes.
Most importantly, the successful candidate will also have:
• Good people skills and a confident and friendly personality to help build strong relationships with the team and with clients,
• The ability to take ownership of their work and see things through to completion, including working unsupervised and to deadlines.