SUMMARY OF ROLE:
As first point of contact for our patients, your focus will be on ensuring patients and visitors to the practice receive the best possible service, you will provide a professional, efficient and friendly reception service for all patients and other visitors and you’ll enjoy making a difference to every person who walks through our doors.
This is a varied role that will see you offering a range of patient care activities, including receiving, assisting and direct patients in accessing the most appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
You will facilitate effective communication between patients, members of the primary health care team, secondary care and other associated healthcare agencies.
You will also offer general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
The post holder will be part of the practice team and will:
• Work effectively alongside other teams and clinicians within the practice in a professional manner to nurture a spirit of collaborative team working.
• Develop positive working relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders
• Be encouraging and supportive to colleagues across the practice
• Promote a positive working environment
The duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by members of the reception and admin team may include any or all of the items in the following list. Duties may be varied from time to time under the direction of the Reception Team Leader, dependant on the current and evolving workload and staffing levels.
Patient/ Customer Care
• To meet and greet patients, members of the public and visitors to the practice in a friendly and courteous manner
• Offer general assistance to the practice team and project a professional, positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
• Facilitate effective communication between patients, members the primary health care team, secondary care and other associated healthcare agencies.
• Liaise with district nurses, midwives and other professionals within the community teams, on behalf of patients
• Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the Practice
• Ensure that excellent patient care is being delivered at all times
• Play an active role in the co-ordination, and review of patient surveys
• Offer solutions and actively listen to patients to resolve issues.
• Deal with complex and sensitive issues
• Receive specimens for laboratory analysis from patients and advise patients of their test results on request
• Arrange patient transport as directed
• Process telephone requests for appointments, visits and telephone advice
• Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way, including sign posting patients to the most appropriate service using in-house guidance.
• Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments.
• Using your own judgment and communication skills ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
• Book appointments ensuring sufficient information is recorded to ensure retrieval and accurate notes and use of the medical record.
• Monitor flow of patients into consulting and treatment rooms
• Maintain and monitor the practice appointments system, adding clinics and amending slots as directed
• Collate patient data as directed
• Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same.
• Receive requests for repeat prescriptions from patients, pharmacy and care home staff, and process these in a timely and accurate manner and distribute signed prescriptions on request
• Dealing with prescription enquiries that other members of staff are unable to answer from patients and local pharmacists
• Explain Practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover and ensure procedures are completed.
• Ensure that all registrations including New, immediately necessary and temporary residents are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately.
• Keep the reception area free from obstructions and clutter.
• Keeping the office well-stocked with stationery and other supplies
• To maintain a thorough knowledge of all Practice procedures and work in accordance of written protocols
• Ensure building security- have a thorough knowledge of doors/ windows/ alarm.
• Undertake a variety of EMIS tasks to assist in the smooth running of the practice, contacting patients as requested by team leaders, managers and clinical staff when required. Responding to system wide alerts.
• Contributing to the development and improvement of services to patients
You’ll have a head start in this vacancy if you’ve completed a Foundation Apprenticeship in a related field. We’ll need you to provide evidence of your qualification and show you gained the relevant skills from your placement
Minimum Nat 4/5 in English and Maths
Attention to detail
Able to take initiative
Positive and friendly attitude