What is the Apprentice Transition Plan?
If you're an apprentice who has been made redundant or unemployed as a result of COVID-19 the Apprentice Transition Plan service can help you find new work or move to further learning.
The service may:
- Offer support to help you complete your qualification
- Give you the ability to recognise the level of your skills and be confident in articulating them to a prospective new employer
- Provide a record of learning certificated in your apprenticeship to date
- Provide a record of your benchmarked transferable skills that prospective employers recognise
- Help you plan for further learning or employment
How does it work?
As well as getting help to find new opportunities you’ll work with a learning provider to reflect on the skills and experiences you’ve gained.
The transferable skills could be from your apprenticeship and other forms of learning, employment or volunteering work. We often learn these skills in an informal way, through our everyday work and experience. These transferable skills can be important when applying for a job as they can demonstrate how you can transfer what you have learned from one situation to another.
The transferable skills are benchmarked to give them a recognised level which you will be able to explain to a prospective employer as well as develop an understanding of skills that you may need to work on for the future. Your learning provider will help you to review all your skills and achievements and document these into a Record of Achievement which you can then use to support your applications for other jobs or for entry to other learning opportunities.
Your Record of Achievement is a bit like a quality assured CV and will include:
- A record of all certified learning gained in the apprenticeship
- A Technical skills statement of competence for non-certified learning
- A benchmark statement for your transferable skills
You’ll get one- to-one guidance and support to help you take the next steps in your career or learning goals, complete with an up to date record of your certificated learning and credentials to give you the best chance of success.
Are you eligible?
You’ll be eligible for the Apprentice Transition Plan service if, since 1 April 2020:
- you have been made redundant as a result of the economic downturn; or
- you are unemployed because your employer ceased to trade or was unable to continue employing you due to a lack of work.
If you are making an apprentice redundant, visit our For Employers area.
If you’re looking to take on an apprentice who has been made redundant, into any job, you’ll find the Record of Achievement useful as it is a sort of quality-assured CV:
- It outlines the apprentice capabilities to help you make informed recruitment decisions
- Transferable skills such as the scope of their work, the amount of autonomy, personal responsibility, broad knowledge and skills are benchmarked against a national standard ( the SCQF). This helps you to gauge at what level someone has been working at
Information for Learning Providers
For information on providing the Apprenticeship Transition Plan visit our Learning Provider area.