Support organisations

Support organisations

There are lots of organisations who can provide additional support, both to individuals and to your wider workforce in the form of training and support around mental health issues. Some of these organisations are listed below.

Breathing Space

Breathing Space is a national telephone support service run by the NHS. It provides emotional support 24 hours a day and can be called by anyone needing someone to talk to.

Healthy Working Lives

Healthy Working Lives is a free and confidential NHS service to help employers understand, protect and improve the health and wellbeing of their workforce. The organisations also helps you support employees with health problems to remain in work or return to work.​

Mental Health Support Service (Access to Work) for Apprentices

This confidential service is available at no charge to any employees with depression, anxiety, stress or other mental health issues affecting their work.


Penumbra provides a wide range of mental health support services across Scotland.


Samaritans provides a non-judgemental listening space for any kind of emotional distress, including, but not only feelings about suicide. You can call Samaritans free at any time of the day on 116 123.

SAMH (Scottish Association for Mental Health)

SAMH provides a wide range of mental health support services across Scotland.

Scotland's Mental Health First Aid (SMHFA)

This first-aid course for mental health is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills to support someone in distress, in the short-term, until professional help can be sought. It's presented by a qualified SMHFA instructor and quality is continuously monitored by NHS Health Scotland.

See Me

See Me is Scotland’s national campaign to end stigma around mental health.


View our Mental Health resource for apprentices

Go to home page

Logo of mental health charity Penumbra

We are grateful to mental health charity Penumbra for providing advice and information on mental health for this resource. If you need support, you should contact your GP or professional mental-health support organisation.